Landlord FAQs

What is an EPC?

An Energy Performance Certificate is needed whenever a property is built, sold, or rented, and must be ordered prior to marketing the property.

An EPC gives a property an energy efficiency rating from A (most efficient) to G (least efficient) and is valid for 10 years.

Where a property has an F or a G rating, the property cannot be let until improvements are made.

You can check to see if your property has a valid EPC by visiting the EPC register.

If your property requires an EPC, we can arrange this for you.

How often do the gas appliances need to be checked?

A gas qualified engineer must check all gas appliances, pipes, and flues every 12 months.

How often does the electrical installation need to be checked?

A qualified electrician must complete an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) every 5 years.

What is the referencing criteria?

As a rule, the household income must be no less than 2.5x the monthly rent. For example, the gross income for a property advertised at £800 per calendar month must be no less £2,000 per month (£24,000 per year).

A good credit rating and proof of the tenants’ income will be required.

If the tenant is self-employed, they will be required to show evidence of their income and tax calculations.

If the Tenant is unable to meet the above criteria, their application may be considered with a suitable Guarantor at the Landlords discretion.

Why should I have an inventory?

An inventory is a detailed document listing the contents and condition of your property, prior to the tenant moving in. Whilst having an inventory is not a legal requirement, having one in place provides you with proof of the original condition and will be required should there be a dispute after the tenancy ends.

What happens to my Tenant’s deposit?

A Tenant’s security deposit must be registered with an approved Tenancy Deposit Scheme. At Hawkesford James, we register deposits with The Deposit Protection Service’s Custodial Scheme, where the deposit is lodged with the scheme itself.

The Deposit Protection Service is there to protect the Tenant’s money and may help to resolve any disputes at the end of the tenancy.

Can I take a larger deposit if I accept pets?

The maximum deposit an agent or landlord can take is equivalent to five weeks rent. Therefore, we cannot take a higher deposit to cover the additional risk that may be associated with a pet. If you are agreeable to a pet at the property, a higher rent may be negotiated prior to the referencing process.

Can I enter my property during the tenancy?

You need provide the tenant with sufficient notice before entering.

If you require further assistance, please contact a member of our lettings team on 01795 437777.